^_^

Monday, November 10, 2008

Copycat:

(The thread for the Story Telling Event is already closed by Phryzea. I wasn't able to post it)

The Legend of the Bottomless Pit in Prison De Joaquin

From the memoirs of an unnamed fighter, 1522 AD.

We walked into a trap. As soon as we warped inside, the light flickered and the darkness swallowed us. Embers on furnaces glowed deep red, and the stench of rotting flesh made me hurl. Only the glow of our weapons gave us respite from the darkness. It hit us so suddenly, catching all three of us off guard. I caught a glimpse of Elementalist's body being tossed by an unseen evil. Wretched undead, I couldn't do anything! I couldn't save her. Like a ragged doll, her body was flung across the room, arms and legs flailing. Her body hit me with a thud as she was thrown. Groaning on the ground, I ran to where I heard her voice. And then it happened. The horror of my life, represented by her face, livid and beautiful, smiling at me as if she was assured she was safe. I was able to reach her, I could have saved her, yet I watched her head burst, the blood gushing out and bits of gray matter splattering on my face. Her expression, her scream, it's repeating in my head until now. "Helpp~!", she screamed. There was no escape, her pleas of help, abruptly stopping as I realized, she is no more.

She was the first to die in our group, and Grace died next. Yes, Grace Bernelli, the best rifle user I know, dead before my very eyes. We both would have been dead at that instant, if she hadn't sacrificed herself. Still shocked with what had happened, I stood there motionless. Time lagged, and I knew I was going to die. But I heard the deafening sound of gunfire, and I came to know that even in an ambush, Grace still held her composure. She was able to kill the Gerero that killed the Elementalist, a feat that proved her prowess. But there were too many Eigleschvarlier warriors that were on to us. I provoked the monsters to fight me instead of Grace, and I led her away, to escape. In the heat of battle, she pushed me into a deep crevice. But I realized that she didn't push me in purpose. What occurred was, at the last moment, she blocked the swing of a Dragonhead's ax aimed at my head, and in effect, Grace's head split into two, with one half struck hard enough to knock me back and make me fall into a deep crevice. She wasn't even able to cry. It was me who shrieked in disbelief, as what was once Grace's head bounced off my head, plopping noisily as it slushed on the ground after I landed. I looked at her, but it wasn't her anymore. "Grace!", I shouted, but it was nothing. It was merely a part of flesh that was once Grace. Grit with pieces of hair and unrecognizable bits of flesh were strewn across. And I noticed that I was bleeding. My chest plate had a gaping hole from which I was bleeding. I opened potions of triumph filler, hrin's potion and progressive health filler, but the effect was delayed. I was lagging like hell.

Down in the crevice upon which I fell, I was paralyzed. The swiftness of the blow was so unexpected that all I could do was to think that at that moment, I was doomed if I move. I glanced around, doubling in pain, and saw that I was on a metal net, and underneath was a bottomless pit. My blood dripped down into a bottomless trench and I became aware that the purpose of the metal lattice was to drain my blood while I was dying. But I might as well have died then, for as I looked up, to where I had come from, hordes of undead gladiators were amassing. Mobs of the vilest, most putrid creatures that Prison de Joaquin could ever harbor were fast approaching. They were blind but could smell the blood, and my instinct dictated that I survive. I quickly picked up the part of Grace's head from the ground, for I didn't know what to do, and then her eyeballs fell, since it was cut right below the eyes. It fell through the metal lattice, falling down, down, down, and it didn't really hit the ground, for it was bottomless. I watched it fall, because it was all I could do for I was in a state of stasis again. The lag was killing me. And the undead gladiators are upon me, grunting and gnashing menacingly. Escape was inevitable and I was filled with despair. They carried me to a humongous guillotine, and as they restrained my head under the giant blade, they quickly released the latch, letting the blade fall. I struggled, and at the last moment, I escaped! I got free from the merciless arms that pinned me down, and in my struggle, I inadvertently threw the part of Grace's skull and brain that I have held in my hand. The undead gladiators roared loudly, their brutal cries echoing throughout the dungeon. They thought they had severed my head, but what they didn't know was that it was Grace's head that came flying through the air as the guillotine's blade sliced down. To them, I was dead but what they smelled was the blood that came from my chest. They carried me, the Elementalist and Grace's body and we were all tossed into the bottomless pit, where we fell on the metal net. I came face to face with my family's gruesome, disfigured bodies as I laid there dying. In despair, I was frozen again. I could not move. With my blood dripping, I remember excruciating pain as my body was ripped apart by jabberwocks who fed on my body. Yet I was still alive. For some reason, a glitch in life and death kept me alive, only to endure immeasurable pain while lagging.

I woke up in the barracks. We are all alive. Fortunately, we were spared death and was brought back to the barracks, alive and well. But we've noticed changes. Grace seems to have suffered from a lower accuracy in shooting, because her eyes fell into the bottomless pit. And I now have less health points since a lot of my blood dripped into the bottomless pool. As for the Elementalist, since her head burst, she appears to be dumber. What we found out from such an experience, was that the bottomless pit was a source of energy for the undead inhabitants of Prison de Joaquin. It saps the power and life energy from the poor souls that have died there. And that's the legend of the Bottomless Pit of Prison de Joaquin.

No comments: